Racing Club Blog - Taunton Racecourse - National Hunt Racing, Weddings and Meetings in the South West

taunton-racecourse-logo

Telephone: 01823 33 71 72
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Next Meeting: Thursday 2nd March
online bookings close at 10.00am the day before racing
(save up to 20%)
  • Racing Club 2015

The Prince has come out of it well and to be honest didn’t have much of a race. Once he lost position down the home straight first time, and Conor chased him up to get competitive around the stands bend and then he made a ‘horlicks’ of the first fence down the back (God I now really hate that fence), any chance to be competitive was gone and he just brought him home in his own time.

Conor’s view was that it all happened to quick for him, and once he started fiddling his fences, he just lost too much ground each time because the others were more efficient. He has suggested we move up to 3 miles on softer ground. I have just watched the race again (link below) and it was all going OK until the far bend first time round when Conor lost a few lengths, he then put in short at the first fence in the home straight and it wall always going to be uphill from then.

http://www.attheraces.com/racecard/Taunton/27-January-2017/1515

I spoke to Richard at length yesterday morning and he and I feel we want to keep going over the larger obstacles. A few of you have mentioned about reverting back to hurdles, but 3 miles on softer ground will allow him to get from one side to the other in his own time, but all of the others will be doing the same so he will be able to remain in the race. As we have now found, he does not respond to being asked for a ‘big one’.

So we will look for a race in around 2 weeks or so and go from there.

Just to let you know Prince Mahler runs tomorrow in the 3.15 at Taunton. Connor will ride and hopefully they will see ‘eye to eye’ this time

It is probably best that I update you on the ground, the course was raceable today and has been completely covered. These will protect to course to –3/-4oC. The forecast is for –3, and this will be around 6-8am. The issue is that they do not give the temperatures rising much above +3 during the day, unlike today when it was given time to thaw. So fingers crossed we get to race.

With regards to Prince Mahler he is great form, has been schooling well. The decision has been made to put Micheal Nolan up, he has nice quiet style and Richard feels he is the type of jockey to suit him. It would have been great to get Daryl up but he has been claimed to go to Haydock.

With regards to his chance, I am not going to spend hours working through the race, as we have again found a chase which has reached the total field size limit, so much for the comment that there are never many runners in the Chases at Taunton and we sit 10th in the weights.  The bottom line is that on 11-2 we have a nice racing weight, we feel 95 is a workable handicap mark, that he should be a better chaser than hurdler (I would ignore the last run, I think it was just one of those things) , we go up in trip which will be interesting as on paper he should get it, but again we are not proven. So, if he gets on well with Michael and stays we may get a run for our money and at 25/1 I wouldn’t anyone off a small each way bet, stranger things have happened at sea.

Prince Mahler is in great form and our intention is to run on Saturday as long as he stays healthy.

He has had several schooling sessions including one with Daryl Jacob on Wednesday and has behaved impeccably, so onwards and upwards as they say.

Our only issue is who we will get to ride him, as we do clash with Ascot and Haydock, however we will find the best we can.

So, if you fancy witnessing first hand another chapter of the TROC biography at Taunton on Saturday then let me know and I will add you to the list of attendees.

Just a quick update...

Jezzer is fine and it is onwards and upwards for 2017.

I can confirm that we now have an official Handicap mark of 95 over both fences and hurdles, so although the last 2 months may not have gone entirely to plan, we still have a sound horse, have a mark for both codes and have indeed been dropped 5lb from when we started, always glass half full your racing maanger

We had entered him at Ludlow, however due to the Bank Holiday situation the qualifying days moved by one day and we do not qualify for the race. This is not a bad thing as the race looks hot enough at the top of the the weights and we wouldn’t have been keen to go anyway.

So we will wait for Taunton on the 21st January, it is a Saturday, so hopefully a number of you will be able to attend and the rain will come allowing the ground to ease.